Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Dumbest Generation

I have spent some of the weekend reading about half of the book, The Dumbest Generation. Throughout the reading I have spent a good deal of time reflecting on why the United States is falling behind academically. The biggest thing that has stood out to me (which could be because I am getting my masters in Reading K-12) is the lack of reading being done, not only by kids but by teens and adults. Moreover, I notice that the younger kids are reading more than the older kids. Is it solely technology and outside interferences? Or is it that we teachers are doing something to discourage the love of reading? Or maybe is a little of both? Whatever the case, it is essential that we figure out how to get everyone reading again. Even myself, I absolutely love reading, but I don't find myself going to the library or bookstore nearly as much as I used to. I tell myself that it is because I am in graduate school and have enough reading to be doing, but is that really an excuse?

Moreover, the book discusses a lot about how technology is taking over our student's lives. Between laptops, I-pads, I-pods, cell phones, and all of the technologies out there, our students have stopped focusing on the importance of learning the "basic" skills that future generations learned. Television itself can severely impact attention, motivation, and academics of our future generations.

So I am sure you are wondering what on earth this has to do with 21st century learning. Well throughout my reflections I have thought a lot about what 21st century learning looks like in my school. I am very fortunate that I am in a graduate school program and I feel like I have learned a lot about how to integrate web 2.0 tools and technology in a way that integrates the curriculum and is beyond typing a paper. Unfortunately, I notice that a lot of teachers believe that signing up for the computer lab to allow students to play a game, play on Study Island, or type a paper is integrating 21st century skills. I believe that in order make our students effective learners we have to learn to effectively integrate what they are interested in to help them learn. For instance, when we want our students to learn about the important leaders in our community, allow them to use the twitter, xtranormal, todaysmeet, and/or other tools they enjoy using to share what they are learning. I am sure I still have a lot to learn but I do know that inviting students to communicate, be creative, work together, and use technology are part of the 21st century skills we want our students to learn. If we can create more authentic projects for our students, they are learning in a way that gives them choice, motivation, and the knowledge they need.... we (the US) needs.... to keep up with the rest of the world.

What are your thoughts on this? I would love your advice on how we teachers can effectively engage our students in 21st century skills and also increase their knowledge base?

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this a neat book? It really gets me thinking and also scares me a little. I'm like you, it's incredibly difficult to find time to read aside from grad school work. I'm really hoping this changes soon, because I LOVE to read, and I'm saddened that I don't have time.

    I think that all teachers have to get on board with 21st century learning. I'm lucky that at my school, we work so closely as a team, and highly encourage technology use. I think students also need to be able to collaborate more in order to learn to work together effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say to both Devon and Ashley that it does this ole heart good to hear such strong young educators as the two of you so clear-headed about such crucial issues as reading. I am so glad that you are deeply evaluating the issues embedded in the new technologies and 21st century skills. You are both so right. So many teachers think that taking students to a computer lab is enough. I believe, as you do, that reading is the key. I have great hope that the new Common Core will bring us back to reading on a much deeper level and help rejuvenate a love of true learning in this country.

    ReplyDelete